Spring is in the air and people are busy transitioning their home decor into bright and energetic colors! You don’t need to stop there. You can dress your desserts up with spring colors too when you make these “Spring Krispies.” These sweets are simple to make and your kids will love them.
This recipe is basically very similar to making Rice Krispie Treats, but with a fruity spin because you use Trix or a similar generic brand instead of Rice Krispies. We found that Great Value Fruity Puffs (Walmart brand) seems to have brighter colors and therefore makes the dessert even more festive and spring like.
There are only three ingredients in this dessert and you just need your microwave to make these colorful and fun treats!
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 10 ounce bag of mini marshmallows
- 10 cups Great Value Fruity Puffs (you can also use Trix cereal but the Walmart brand seems to have brighter colors). One 14.8 ounce box will be more than enough.
- Spray Pam (or your favorite vegetable oil spray) to coat a 9 x 13 pan. Set aside.
- In a fairly large glass bowl, add the butter and marshmallows and microwave for 2-2 ½ minutes or until the marshmallows are melted. Stir halfway through the cooking time with a rubber or silicone spatula.
- Add the cereal and stir (with your rubber or silicone spatula) to evenly coat with the marshmallow mixture.
- Pour the coated cereal mixture into your greased pan. Using a spoon or spatula (spray with no stick spray first), press the mixture down into the pan.
- Allow the treats to cool and set for up to 15 minutes or more.
- Cut evenly into squares and serve.
This recipe will yield a pan of 9 x 13 Spring Krispies.
So there you have it! Simple, quick and fabulously tasty and colorful. These would be great treats to decorate your Easter table or to serve at a child’s birthday party. But forget the saying that “Trix are for kids.” Adults love these treats too!