Old Settler’s Baked Beans
May is National Barbecue Month and there is nothing better than to kick off the season with a flavorful dish of baked beans along side your hot dogs, hamburgers or BBQ ribs on the grill. All summer long there will be picnics and outdoor barbecues galore and we recommend that you give Sage’s Old Settler’s Baked Beans a try. We guarantee that they will make the perfect addition to your picnic and compliment your main choice of meat.
The great thing about these beans is that they a can compliment your grilled or smoked meats or they can be the main dish with some cornbread and coleslaw served on the side. Sage’s Old Settler’s Baked Beans can also be enjoyed year round and go well with a ham at Christmas or Easter too!
- 1 lb ground beef browned and drained
- 1 lb bacon fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 onion chopped
- can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can butter beans drained
- 2 large cans pork and beans with molasses
- 1 can mild chili beans, not drained
- ⅓ – ½ cup molasses
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Brown ground beef with onion and drain
- Fry bacon until crisp and then crumble
- Set aside.
- Mix together brown sugar, white sugar, ketchup, barbeque sauce, dry mustard, chili powder, salt and black pepper.
- Mix the above ingredients together well.
- Add red kidney beans (drained), butter beans (drained), 2 cans of pork and beans with molasses and chili beans (not drained).
- Mix all together and place in oven for about an hour at 350 degrees.
This dish tends to taste best baked in the oven. You can keep it warm in the slow cooker once finished baking.