Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet is a constant struggle for many of us, especially considering all the unhealthy food choices that are dangled in front of us on a daily basis, from cheese smothered nachos to deep fried chicken wings and sugary candy bars.
The best way to avoid unhealthy foods and ensure that you are getting all the nutrients your body needs is to simply prepare your own food.
However, while most people have plenty of practice preparing healthful main meals for themselves and their family, when it comes to things like snacks or deserts, it can get a little bit trickier. Desserts and snacks are, after all, indulgences, which means we tend to put up with less healthful options, giving the excuse that we’ll make up for it with our main meals.
But, in order to keep your diet going, it is very important to try to maintain a high standard with everything that passes your lips. One delicious and nutritious dish that can be served either as a snack or a full dessert is the blueberry and grape tortilla pizza, and today I’m going to let you in on how to make it.
The two main ingredients, blueberries and grapes, are both packed with antioxidants, vitamin C and K. They are also low in calories, yet high in energy, making them a perfect snack combination.
Blueberries are known to protect against cardiovascular disease and also have a number of cognitive benefits. Grapes have anti-inflammatory properties and can help to balance blood sugar levels. They are also known for their anti-aging and longevity benefits.
The recipe below combines these two super foods in an energizing and healthful snack or dessert. It serves about two people (depending on how big you want the portions to be) and contains a total of 324 calories, 36 carbohydrates, 18 grams of fat and 10.4 grams of saturated fat.
If you want to make it healthier still, you can make your own whole wheat flour tortillas or purchase them from a health food store.
Blueberry and grape tortilla pizza
- 1 medium sized flour tortilla
- ½ tsp softened butter
- 3 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese (can be low or full fat)
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup halved grapes
- First preheat your oven to 400°F or 204°C
- Get your tortilla out and place it on a dry, non-greased baking tray
- Spread butter (or low-fat margarine if you prefer) on the tortilla
- Combine one teaspoon of the sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle it evenly onto the tortilla
- Bake this mixture until begins to brown. This will take around three or four minutes.
- Once the tortilla is browned you can take it out and place it on a serving tray or platter
- Now combine the last two teaspoons of sugar in a bowl with the cream cheese and spread it evenly over the tortilla
- Arrange the grapes and blueberries on top of the tortilla and cut it into four (or more) wedges
This dish can be changed up by using different fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, bananas, pineapple or peaches. Just make sure you use fresh fruit and not canned fruit in order to get all the health benefits the fruit has to offer.
Joyce Del Rosario works at www.outsourcely.com, a platform where hiring and working remotely is made simple. When not working, she engages in photography and event planning at Del Rosario Events. Aside from that, she also has a heart for writing.