By Avery Flynn
Throw open the doors to your closet and what do you find? Jewel tones? Pastels? Neutrals in every shade of taupe and gray? Patterns that are bright enough to give Betsey Johnson an epileptic seizure?
What ever your style…there is one piece every closet needs: A little black dress. Picture your ideal LBD, what’s it like? If you’re like me it looks like this.
Forget a little blue box from Tiffany’s, I want Audrey Hepburn’s wardrobe from this movie.
The beauty of the LBD is that it can go anywhere from the beach to the boardroom (depending on accessories), it can be endlessly updated and you can easily find one to fit your sense of style and price point. I love that last bit. 🙂 So here are the five things you need when it comes to your LBD.
- Comfort. It doesn’t matter how hot you look in the dress, if you don’t feel comfortable you won’t feel hot—and that’s the real power of a little black dress.
- Accessories. Yes, you can be a monotone mama, but a pop of color or a to-die-for piece of jewelry can take a dress from functional to fantastic.
- Proper Undergarments. No you don’t have to swath yourself in Spanx (those things are the devil in stretchy form), but undergarments are your foundation and everything looks and feels better when it’s laid on a proper foundation.
- Shape. There are only a few beings amongst us who’d actually look good in a burlap sack. Show off your favorite bits (but not your naughty bits) with a dress that flatters your figure be it supermodel waifish, a hot damn hourglass or anywhere in between.
- Smile. Cheesy, but true. You are never fully dressed without a smile…or a come hither glance but that’s a whole other blog. 🙂
While researching This Year’s Black, I came across some great fashion vloggers on YouTube including the girls from That F Word who did a little black dress face off. It’s the perfect video to show how versatile an LBD can be.
So what does your favorite little black dress look like? Describe in the comments, let us ohhh and ahhh over your wardrobe. 🙂
Avery Flynn has three slightly-wild children, loves a hockey-addicted husband and is desperately hoping someone invents the coffee IV drip.
This Year’s Black by Avery Flynn
Incredible writing with witty humor and scorching sex scenes. This Year’s Black belongs at the top of everyone’s TBR list.– New York Times bestselling author, Gina L. Maxwell
A fighter since birth, Allegra “Ryder” Falcon would rather trade in her all-black wardrobe for head-to-toe hot pink than let anyone ever see the cracks in her tough exterior. But one night with a stranger changes everything.
Devin Harris may have given up his MMA fighting dreams for high fashion, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t always in control. So when someone embezzles millions under his watch, he isn’t going to let the private investigator working the case go it alone–even if she is the woman who blew him away in bed and then blew him off.
Just when it seems like it couldn’t get any hotter between Ryder and Devin, the case takes them to a tropical paradise where the danger increases. From the catwalk to the pineapple fields, they have to work together to track down the missing millions before the thief finds–and kills–them.
Connect with the Avery Flynn
Purchase This Year’s Black