Written by Jasmin
College has a lot of perks: the freedom, the extracurriculars, the parties. But it is not without drawbacks. I’ve compiled a list of the top 5 things that drive me crazy about school.
1. Dorm Bathrooms: Honestly, people have NO home training. The dorm I live in (single-sex) has a communal bathroom in each wing of the building, and it is literally a hellhole. I won’t be crass, but let’s just say that some of the girls in my dorm didn’t get the “Our Changing Bodies” talk as tweens. It’s not a good place for a mild germaphobe like me, and football weekends take the nastiness to an entirely different level. One of the best things about being home is being able to use a bathroom without fear of catching meningitis.
2. Absent-Minded Professors: I am an organization freak, so this could have been number one on my list. Maybe I just picked the wrong majors, but some of my profs are ridiculously unorganized. One professor, who shall remain nameless, would send us discussion questions for that day’s class at 2AM! I admit, I have been the pesky student who emails the professors asking about assignments because I hate doing things at the last minute. At the end of each semester, we fill out teacher evaluations, and I have skewered teachers for being unorganized–I’ve literally written pages on some professors. (Yes, “neurotic” is my middle name.)
3. Bad Gender Relations: I go to a CatholicUniversity, so students live in single-sex dorms, and there are rules about when members of the opposite sex have to leave the building. This makes interacting with the opposite sex awkward, and most guys at school are way too timid for my taste. If you peek into a party on Saturday night, it’s not unusual to see guys on one side girls on the other, like a 7th grade dance. Students always talk about how the school rules should be changed, but in my opinion, some college guys just need to grow a pair.
4. People Who Missed Out on High School: Not literally, but these are the people who didn’t have the opportunity to cause/be a part of drama in high school. Not wanting to miss out, they brought all that baggage to college. Fighting over a guy? That’s so sophomore year. Giving Ashley the silent treatment because she didn’t answer your wall post on Facebook? Definitely a Freshman year throwback. So many people I know are trying to get their high school kicks and grins in now, and it’s too late. Nobody has time for that petty stuff when there are so many other drama-free people to hang out with.
5. Martyrs: Complaining is natural (it’s the topic of this post), but I can’t stand people who act like they work so much harder than everyone else. I am in charge of a volunteer organization at school, and people constantly email me backing out of their commitment to the program, with the excuse that “I just have so much work to do.” It makes me want to scream, “And what am I, the cleaning lady?” It’s college; you are supposed to work hard! Some people act like they deserve an Olympic medal for doing homework.
Here they are…I’m sure if I did some thinking I could add 5 (or 10) more things to this list! Do you all have any to add?