2012 was the year the password broke. With leaks and dumps becoming all too common, a string of characters can’t protect you anymore. Please enjoy this infographic that BackgroundCheck.org put together.
A few points from this inforgraphic:
- How do hackers get your data? The common weakness is the Password. Password and cookies are no longer enough to keep us safe on today’s internet.
- People still use bad, predictable passwords. The most common password? Password. The second most common password? 123456
- Many people reuse passwords which can make it easy to access multiple accounts.
So what is an internet user to do?
- Enable two-factor authentication when offered.
- Give bogus answers to security questions.
- Scrub you online presence.
- Use a unique secure email address for password recoveries.
So what should you not do?
- Use the same password for multiple accounts.
- Use a dictionary word as your password.
- Use standard number substitutions, like “P455w0rd.”
- Use a short password, no matter how weird.