Makeup brushes are a great way to achieve a flawless look fast, but did you know there could be bacteria lurking in them? Cleaning your makeup brushes often is important, as it will keep them clean and lessen your risk of infection or skin irritation. Cleaning your brushes is a cinch; just take a look below at some helpful tips on how to clean makeup brushes easily and effectively.
Before we begin, here is what you will need to clean your makeup brushes. As you can see, these are supplies you most likely already have on hand:
Dawn Dish soap (or any gentle formula, grease fighting soap)
Olive oil (any variety will do, the more basic the better)
Soft towel or cloth
1. Fill a spray bottle with warm water and add 3- drops of Dawn dish soap. Shake well. Prepare to apply the mixture while the water is still warm as it will help soften any caked on make-up.
2. Lay the brushes out flat on a towel. Begin spraying the brushes, taking care to avoid the handle of the brush. Focus on the bristles only. Don’t saturate just yet, but lightly spray to dampen. Apply more if you need more moisture to loosen dirt or debris.
3. Let the brushes sit for 5-7 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Pat the bristles dry with a soft towel. Do not pull on the brushes to dry them as it will loosen them from the handle.
4. You can now condition your brushes. Use a few dabs of olive oil and massage it into the bristles. You don’t have to use a lot, as a little goes a long way. Just massage in and let the brushes lay flat until dry. You will notice that olive oil loosens up any remaining debris as well!
5. Allow brushes to thoroughly dry before using. If you notice any caked on make-up remains, you can repeat these steps to remove it.
Cleaning your makeup brushes at home is a great way to keep them clean and sanitary. And with clean and sanitary makeup brushes, you can stay looking your best! Give these steps a try for how to clean makeup brushes and not only will you look and feel great, but your makeup brushes are sure to last!