Summer is all about meals that are quick, light but yet filling. We need recipes that are fast so we can spend more time having fun in the sun!
We also want to make sure we are eating healthy and one way to do that is to combine avocado and tuna.
There are many benefits of avocados. Here are just a few:
- They are a great source of potassium, which helps in controlling blood pressure levels.
- Avocados are rich in a compound called beta-sitosterol which has been shown to be effective in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
- Studies have shown that avocado can inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.
- The good fats in avocados can reverse insulin resistance which help to regulate blood sugar levels.
- The soluble fiber in avocados can also help maintain steady blood sugar levels.
- Avocados contain a high level of folate which may protect against stroke.
- They are an excellent source of carotenoid lutein, which is known to help protect against age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
It is also important to remember that the method you use to peel an avocado impacts the amount of nutrients that you receive from the avocado. The greatest concentration of carotenoids occurs in the dark green flesh that is just beneath the skin of the avocado. The California Avocado Commission recommends the “nick and peel” method. With this method you actually end up peeling the avocado with your hands in the same way that you would peel a banana. To help prevent an already sliced avocado from browning, sprinkle lemon juice on the exposed flesh, and then refrigerate in a plastic bag.
Watch the video below for a step-by-step guide on how to peel an avocado:
Here is a very simple but delicious recipe using avocado.
- 1/2 Avocado, mashed
- 1 2.6 oz. packet of Tuna
- 1/2 green onion stalk, diced
- 2 large romaine leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the mashed avocado, tuna and green onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the mixture onto the 2 large romaine leaves (it almost resembles a taco). Enjoy!
You can eat this just like a taco ~ easy and no mess! I do not recommend saving any leftovers as the avocado will brown.