Earlier today I saw the video below on a social network. You go watch it while I wait.
Okay- you watched it? Good. If you did you should fall into one of the following categories
1) You are applauding this father for showing his disrespectful daughter who is in charge and you think he’s a genius for using the platform she is so fond of.
2) You think she should have been punished, but the public video went too far.
3) You were with him right up until he shot the laptop. Nine times.
4) Teenagers are rebellious. Do your best and roll with the punches- everything will turn out alright.
5) I didn’t watch, but after reading #3 I’m going to!
Teenagers today certainly seem entitled. Smart phones, laptops, Ipads. Ipods etc. Some seem to forget those things aren’t “rights”. My grandfather had to quit school after the 5th grade to help support his family. He worked long days, doing hard work beside grown men, for 10 cents an hour. (I know I sound preachy.) This kid is complaining about light household chores, and she clearly took her anger way too far. The video was posted on February 7th so I’m wondering if he regrets the video at this point or if he stands by his decision. It was hard to tell if he had really thought the video through- or if he reacted quickly out of anger. Clearly he wanted to get her attention and stop this behavior in its tracks. I imagine he was successful. Although I have seen some question the validity of the video in the first place.
All teenagers get mad at their parents for things they consider to be unfair. I know I did. But there was no Facebook for me to vent on. If I ranted to my friends, there was no evidence. But I don’t think I ever lost my mind and showed that kind of disrespect, publicly or privately.
Like most, I was more than a little surprised when he actually shot the laptop. Why not take it away and sell it? I imagine he bought it in the first place! Then again- shooting it nine times made more of an impact.
So what are your thoughts on this public punishment? Warranted or too much?
WARNING: Video below contains some profanity and may not be appropriate for some viewers.