How to make your Holiday gifts a little more personal and save money!
By Jen @craftymomof3
I am not sure about every one else, but this Christmas I seem to be out of ideas. For some reason everything seems really commercial to me. I really wanted to save money because the budget is REALLY tight this year and I wanted to make something that has more of a personal touch to it than just a simple iTunes card. So here’s a few tips that myself, CraftyKid and CJWhodunit came up with this holiday season.
- If you have a smartphone download the apps for Michael’s or Joann Fabrics to get really awesome coupons that you have right in the palm of your hand.
- Make use of the Sunday papers coupons. Stores like Joanns allow you to use multiple coupons for your purchases. I once had a purchase where every item I bought was 40% off.
- Go the DIY route as often as you can. Walmart, Joanns, Michaels, Hobby Lobby and even Walgreens carry a lot of items that can be personalized. Can do anything with a paint pen! Last year we used a white paint pen, a black coffee cup and a StarBucks gift card to make a fantastic teachers gift!
- I found an excellent website filled with crafty DIY tips that are very helpful along with projects that you can do at any skill level: Crafty Tips Arts & Crafts Directory
This year CraftyKid had a fabulous idea for DIY ornaments. Here’s two we made last week:
We used paint pens, glitter, fake snow and clear glass ornaments. It creates a snow globe effect. You can give this to all. They can be ornaments on a tree or festive garland hung on a wall. Not just for Christmas. Easy, cute and really cheap! About $1 a piece. To see the whole project visit my site.
I asked some of my friends and followers if they had any tips or cute DIY crafts to share and CJWhoDunit had a great one! Using a individual Nutella container CJ made a fantastic magnetic pen/pencil holder!
This is an easy project for younger kids (for teachers, grandparents, etc..). Start with an individual Nutella container, measured scrapbook paper or child’s creation, tape and hot glue, magnetic strip and embellishments (like ribbons, buttons etc).
- Using tape or glue attach the paper to the plastic container.
- Add two magnetic strips to the top and bottom of the back of the container with a hot glue gun.
- Embellish with ribbon, stickers etc.
- Deep side holds several pencils and pens. Shallow side holds paper clips and pins!
So happy crafting! I hope every one has a great holiday season and a fantastic New Year!