Celebrating World Series Week! Top Ten Things I Like to do at the Ballpark
By Tracy March
Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie. I don’t know about you, but I get all swoony just thinking about baseball. I love it so much that I even wrote The Practice Proposal, a novel about a sexy MLB player, his (not so) fake romance, and his team’s quest for a World Series win. The Washington Nationals are his team, and mine, too. Sadly, they didn’t make it to the World Series, but I’ll still be watching, imagining the exciting day when the Nats (finally) get there—and win! Meanwhile, I’ll have to rely on my fond memories of exciting games at Nationals Park. When I’m lucky enough to attend a game, here are the top ten things I enjoy doing there.
10. Shopping at the Team Store – This is really saying something because I can’t stand to shop, but I’m like an awestruck groupie in the Nationals store where all that bright red and blue is on full display. I love that the selection of women’s styles has grown, offering some pretty cool fan gear so us girls can rock our team spirit!
9. Singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame during the Seventh-Inning Stretch – I’m no Adele, but I sure enjoy standing and singing this iconic baseball tune with 35,000 of my closest fan-friends. It’s traditional, all-American, and quintessentially baseball!
8. The Wave – Not! Please, oh please, could we just get past the wave? Seriously. Enough already! 😉
7. Pre-Game Happy Hour – And not just for the obvious reason—before-the-first-pitch, attractively-priced adult beverages! It’s a great time to socialize and bask in the excitement of just being at the ballpark, anticipating a big game!
6. Batting Practice – Which comes before/during Happy Hour. If you want to see some players smack some baseballs, check out easy-pitch batting practice when you’re most likely to catch a “home run” ball because so many sail into the stands. Ladies, bring your gloves!
5. Celebrating Awesome Plays with Other Fans – Sure, it’s fun to watch games on television and holler and cheer in your house. But it’s incredible actually being there and seeing that awesome double-play, that scorched home-run ball, that unbelievable defensive out. It’s exhilarating to share the excitement with other fans at the stadium and experience the electric atmosphere.
4. Walk-Up Music Fun – I love to hear the tunes that players select for their walk-up music—from country songs, to rock classics, to quirky ‘80s favorites. Often the crowd will sing along, or shout during breaks in the rhythm. Former Nationals player Michael Morse inspired a crowd favorite with his choice of A-Ha’s Take On Me as his walk-up music. Even though the music would stop, in a moment of collective Nattitude, the crowd always continued singing the chorus until they reached the high note. Have a look here. Feel free to sing along…you know you want to!
3. Eating a Hot Dog – Are there more appealing choices at the park than an often kept-in-the-warmer-too-long, foil-wrapped hot dog topped with mustard and a few onions? Of course! But nothing appeals to me more than the traditional fare of a ballpark hot dog—soggy bun and all!
2. Watching Amazing Plays – You could argue that this might be better accomplished watching a television without all the distractions of the game atmosphere, and you’d have a fair point. But there’s something even more awesome about watching the most talented athletes in the sport make nearly impossible plays in person. It’s what keeps me going back to Stub Hub looking for sweet deals on tickets!
1. Watching Hot Guys Make Amazing Plays – Maybe witnessing the talent and skill of pro baseball players competing should be enough entertainment, but I’m all for the sensory overload of watching hot talented and skilled players pouring all their testosterone into the game. Thank goodness the season is seven swoon-worthy months long! Play ball, guys!
How about you? Do you love baseball, or have another favorite sport? What are your favorite things to do at the ballpark?
Psst! We have a surprise for you. To celebrate the World Series, and The Practice Proposal being selected as a Top Pick by RT Book Reviews, Tracy is sponsoring an awesome Giveaway just for you. Come back on Thursday, October 24th, to see what it is all about and to enter. We promise it will be delicious!
Award-winning author Tracy March writes romantic thrillers influenced by her career in the pharmaceutical field, and her interest in science and politics. She also writes lighthearted romances inspired by her real-life happily ever after. Always up for travel and adventure, Tracy has flown in a stunt plane, snowmobiled on the Continental Divide, ziplined in the Swiss Alps, and been chased by a bull in the mountains of St. Lucia. She loves Nationals baseball, Saturday date nights, and Dairy Queen Blizzards—and rarely goes a day without Diet Coke and Cheez-Its. Tracy lives in Yorktown, Virginia, with her superhero husband who works for NASA. They recently spent two years living in Washington D.C., and enjoy visiting often—especially when the Nats are in town. You can follow Tracy on Twitter or like her on Facebook.