Did you know that an artichoke is technically a flower bud that has not bloomed? It is considered to be a thistle that belongs to the sunflower family. It also has many health benefits.
Some of the health benefits include:
- Phytonutrients that help lower bad cholesterol levels.
- Rich in dietary fiber which supports a healthy digestive system.
- High quantities of potassium that help to maintain a normal hearth rhythm and reduce risk of stroke.
- Rich in antioxidants that helps to boost the body’s immunity against diseases.
I could live off salads. The variety and possibilities that are available to us salad lovers are endless. There is no reason just to stick to eating tossed salads. This Artichoke Salad with Lemon Dressing is one of my favorites. It is so quick and easy to put together and it is a great salad for summer. This salad is great on its own for lunch or as a side dish.
- 1 15 oz. can of Artichokes, rained well and chopped
- 5 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 2 Avocados diced
- [u]Lemon Dressing[/u]
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Make dressing first.
- Combine all ingredients stir well and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Add artichokes and tomatoes and combine.
- Add avocados and 1/4 cup dressing and combine.
- Add additional dressing 1/4 cup at a time until you reach desired taste.
You may also want to add some finely diced cooked chicken to this and serve it in flour tortillas or with a side of bread.
But be aware…another interesting fact about artichokes is that the Greeks and Romans considered them to be an aphrodisiac. So if you eat this salad, be prepared for a night full of possibilities.
What is your favorite summer salad?
Pam Buttikofer is a co-founder of Imperfect Women. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband of 36 years and enjoys spending time with her husband, sons and her lovable pups.